TripIt provides hyperlocal safety scores for neighborhoods around the world.
Neighborhood Safety Scores represent risk on a 1–100-point scale, from lowest to highest. A composite score represents the overall risk for a location. Neighborhood Safety Scores can also be broken down into categories, such as:
- Overall safety: objective measure of the safety quality at a location reflecting a average of the sub-categories below:
- Health and medical: environmental pollution and contamination, illnesses, regulation of sanitary conditions, and access to medical care
- Physical harm: including muggings, drug activity, gang prevalence, and police presence
- Women’s safety: including verbal harassment, physical assault, violence directed against women, and adequacy of women’s support facilities
- Political freedoms: including political unrest, limited political rights, and incidences of riots and protests
- Theft: including petty theft, pickpocketing, burglaries, auto theft, and grand theft
- LGBTQ safety: including likelihood of harm or discrimination against LGBTQ persons or groups and level of caution required at location
Separate scores are available for daytime and nighttime. Travelers can find safety scores for their lodging, restaurant, and activity locations within the Android, iOS, and Mac app.
Neighborhood Safety Scores are powered by our partner GeoSure, which analyzes metadata captured from hundreds of trusted sources to determine destination safety. This data includes statistics from the World Health Organization, Interpol, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, country and city crime statistics, and more. GeoSure also takes into account user reports about on-the-ground safety conditions. Through its proprietary algorithm that combines hundreds of variables specific to each neighborhood, GeoSure produces standardized, customized safety metrics.
What is Personal Risk Level?
You can set your preferred level of personal risk. When the overall nighttime risk level of a location is above your personal risk level, you will see an indicator in the trip itinerary — in the trip summary alongside the plan and in the detail screen of the plan. You can adjust your personal risk level, and you can turn this functionality on and off in Profile.
- Tap the More tab
- Tap Profile > Safety
- Set your preferred level of personal risk.
Updated: Oct 28, 2020